Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pregnancy Workouts

Fitness has always been important to me, but as my body continues to change with the passing weeks, i find it harder and harder to enjoy the same activities i was prepregnancy. My goal is to stay active throughout my pregnancy, but my idea of "active" has been evolving over the last few weeks. Now, a 30 minute walk after work gives me the same sense of acheivement and accomplishment i used to get from a one hour high intensity cardio class at the gym. I have traded in most of my favorite gym classes for incline walks and short weight circuits. I wanted to share a few workouts that have left me feeling like i got a workout, but are within my current physical limitations.  Here is one to get started.

Legs, Chest and Back: 
Repeat circuit 3 times. I used 12 lb dumbbells for all exercises.

  • Warm Up: 20 minute incline walk (3.7 mph and 5 incline)
  • 20 deadlifts 
  • 20 one legged squats on Bosu ball (each leg)
    •  One leg on Bosu, one leg off, squat. Switch legs and repeat.
  • 20 lunges
  • 20 one legged dead lifts (each leg)
  • 20 bosu push ups (flat side up)
  • 20 back flys
  • 20 alternating arm bosu push ups (flat side down)
    • One arm on ball, one arm off, push up. Walk arms over ball to switch. Repeat. 
  • 20 double rows with resistance band
    • Hook to pole or peg so both sides are even. Pull back both arms at the same time until you feel back muscles pinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment