Monday, January 21, 2013

Pregnancy Eats: Making sure to cover all the bases



When i first found out i was pregnant, i immediately freaked out. I was worried i hadnt been eating right, wondered what i needed to change in my diet to make sure we had a healthy baby. You may think this is crazy coming from a dietitian, but ill be the first to admit i had to do a little reading up on the nutrition requirements during pregnancy. Yes, i studied nutrition in pregnancy at some point in college, but since I focus on sick, surgery patients all day, it wasnt fresh in my mind.

I thought i would share some of the foods and products i have found that I think are great for helping to make sure you are eating a well balanced diet and covering all the (nutrient) bases.

1. Eggs
* Great source of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, folic acid and many other vitamins. Yes, eggs have cholesterol as well, but likely not the reason for high cholesterol in most people (think other sources of saturated fat- butter, chocolate etc)



2. Bolthouse Farms: Blue Goodness
* This flavor combo has 110% folic acid (most likely 440 mcg since 100% RDA for non pregnant women is 400 mcg), but i was shocked to find more folic acid in this blend than the green juice blend. 
   


3. Chobani Greek Yogurt
* High protein and high calcium. I also found this to settle my stomach in the early days of pregnancy, lightly sweet but not overwhelming. Great snack to grab on the way to work, or pre workout when i need a little something in my stomach but dont want to be burping throughout my workout!



4. Quinoa, Spinach Salad
* Quinoa is the only grain with protein in it and is also a great source of B vitamins and fiber. What i love about quinoa is its versatility. It can be eaten for breakfast, prepared similar to oatmeal. It can be eaten hot or cold, plain or dressed up. It is very easy to prepare, just add 1 part quinoa to 2 parts rice in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until water is all gone (usually takes about 15 minutes). My current favorite combo is quinoa, garbanzo beans, sundried tomatoes, kale, spinach, tomatoes, pepper, goat cheese, balsamic and olive oil.



5. Total Raisin Bran
* Total products are fortified with 100% (non pregnancy) recommended daily intakes of various vitamins and minerals. So even though you dont quite get 100% of your folate in the cereal, it is still a good way to ensure you are getting some nutrients, especially in the early days of pregnancy when food makes you nauseous and the only thing that sounds good is macaroni and cheese.



6. Organic 1% Milk
* I had never really gotten into the organic fad, but when i found out i was pregnant, I immediately wanted to eliminate all food additives, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and all the other scary stuff that is in our food supply. I dont know why it took becoming pregnant for me to realize this, but im glad i did. And i have really never been a big milk drinker, but i knew i needed to up my calcium intake for this important period in my life. I have only had a couple of plain glasses of milk, but i was using milk with cereal, oatmeal and smoothies to try to hit my daily calcium needs. I know i still need to really focus on getting more calcium, but hey, its a work in progress.



7. Salmon
* Omega 3's! Necessary for brain development throughout the pregnancy, and also for mama's heart health. Some fish (like tuna and swordfish) should really be avoided in pregnancy for high levels of mercury, but salmon is one to include a few times a week! Try to find a wild caught versus farm raised product. I found a great Wild Alaskan Salmon at HEB. I like to prepare mine with a dollop of olive oil mayo, dill weed, and lemon slices. Bake at 400 for about 45 minutes (Baking time may vary if frozen or fresh)



8. Avocados
* Another source of healthy fats necessary for brain development (oh and not to mention DELICIOUS). I have been stuffing avocado in just about anything i can including quinoa salads, sandwiches, pastas and salads.



9. Low Sodium V8
*I am at twelve weeks, and i am finally starting to feel like i could stomach raw vegetables. For the first 6-8 weeks, i really had a hard time incorporating any type of veggie in my diet. My mom turned me on to V8 on our ski trip a couple of weeks ago and since then i have been going to town. Not only do you get two servings of veggies in per can, but its got 3 g fiber and low in sugar. Of course real, fresh veggies are ideal, but i found this to be a great substitute (and its quick and easy to pack for work)



10. Fiber gummies/Metamucil
* I have always maintained a pretty regular schedule with a naturally high fiber diet (think fruits, veggies and whole grains). But pregnancy has brought on a whole new challenge in that department. Not only did my eats change, my body and hormones changed too. So i started taking Fiber supplements in the form of gummie candies and metamucil. I mix the metamucil in the Bluberry goodness juice, and take the gummies in the afternon (they are kinda like a little sweet treat). And most importantly, DRINK A LOT OF WATER!



So there you have it, some of the foods/products that i have been loving lately. I think it will be interesting to see how this changes throughout the pregnancy. I know some of what i was craving last week is already out the window and im on to new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment